It is currently Wed 13 Dec, 2017 1:24 am

Your First Agility Class

Tips and techniques

Re: Your First Agility Class

Postby Tim Dyer on Wed 10 Jul, 2013 10:08 pm

Mike Afia wrote:It never was-that was the problem

I think that is sort of the same for me. I have only had a year and a half of actual instruction in the 15 years I have been doing agility. The whole subject of relationship was never discussed and it was something I had to learn the hard way. In my opinion I ruined a very nice dog with lack of relationship. I retired that dog at six years old. Along came Frankie and I knew I would train him with a totally different foundation based more on relationship building skills from day one. The difference was amazing.

At almost 11 years old I brought back out the dog I retired 5 years earlier. I ran her three days in a row, one class each day. She won all three. What I learned with Frankie I applied to her in the years she was "retired". Oh the potential I wasted with that one......sigh.
Tim Dyer
Ol' Blue Eyes

Postby Karen Mikolainis on Fri 21 Jul, 2017 2:16 pm

We were learning nose touches, then getting on a short board, and then learning to independently nose touch a plate on the floor with 2 on 2 off. The dogs also walked through a ladder, they learned to back up, a lot of very little skills in our Foundation 1 and 2 classes. Now we are on contacts and doing all the obstacles. Just put up the A frame and dog walk to full height and just did the full teeter.

As far as relationship, since our first class it's all about the dog paying attention to you and "getting paid".
Karen Mikolainis

Postby Fiona Hulse on Fri 11 Aug, 2017 10:07 pm

Spot on, Karen. Lots of rewards. :)
Fiona & Bliss x
Standard Height Supporters Group
Fiona Hulse
Agility Addicts
Agility Addicts

Previous

Return to Agility Training and Handling