It is currently Fri 18 Aug, 2017 8:40 am

Running Contacts

Tips and techniques

Re: Running Contacts

Postby Lindsey Bailey on Sat 18 Jun, 2011 4:44 pm

I am not considering it It was just a suggestion :)

I just thought if you teach the dog to touch the contact and then through quicker and quicker releases over a log time you eventually train the dog to run the contact rewarding speed BUT the dog is still clear it must touch the contact!

Was just a backward way of training running while still knowing your dog will hit contact! There may be some declaration but i think a split second when you know 100% your dog will hit it is worth it!

So you train 2o2o then build it into a running contact???? That was the idea BUT I don't do it with my beast, I just do 2o2o and 50% quick release! Zeke naturally I release faster just because I am sure he struggles to maintain the position for long xx
Lyndsey Leela Cody Rudi Alfie & Foxy. Run Free Zeke, will always miss you xx
Lindsey Bailey

Postby Sue Stonebridge on Sat 18 Jun, 2011 9:05 pm

I would be happy with any sort of consistant touch the contact point!! :cheeky:
I have a small grade 5 who can either get all her contacts or who can miss the up and down contact points coz I think she thinks she is either:
A) allergic to them or
B) hasnt got time to bother touching them!!! :D

Whilst it is nice to win we should remember agility is all about having fun with your dog and remember you always take the best dog home no matter how your dog does or doesn't get the contact point!

Sometimes I think we forget the point that agility is meant to be fun and you definately need a sense of humour to do agility espicially with a terrorist?! :)
Sue Stonebridge

Postby Lindsey Bailey on Sat 18 Jun, 2011 9:32 pm

Yes agility is about fun and we are all a little guilty of taking it too seriously!
Lyndsey Leela Cody Rudi Alfie & Foxy. Run Free Zeke, will always miss you xx
Lindsey Bailey

Postby Karen Mikolainis on Fri 21 Jul, 2017 2:30 pm

I am in a contacts class right now. We are learning Teeter 2 on 2 off, and dog walk 2 on 2 off, but A frame is running up and over.

For the A frame, they put a food bowl on the other side and put a treat in it, so the dog runs down and stops a little past the obstacle for a snack. They get one snack in, and bonus tossed in when they have a good finish. Last night in class my dog ran around and stole the treats the first few times, so we took the treat out of the bowl and tossed it in after. We also walked her over slowly the first time with treats on the way so she would get up and over. Then she ran easily up and over to the bowl once we showed her how its' supposed to go.

I only know running for the A frame but would the dog bowl method work for your other obstacles?
Karen Mikolainis

Previous

Return to Agility Training and Handling