It is currently Sun 17 Dec, 2017 9:59 am

Running Contacts

Tips and techniques

Re: Running Contacts

Postby Linda McCluskey on Sun 02 Jan, 2011 11:52 am

I suppose there's not only one type of sensitivity... Kirsty's talking about the collie sensitivity, as she sees it - the strong desire to get it right, and I think this is what she is describing in her little poodle. But how about sensitivity (or lack of) to movement, or change of pace, or voice, or handler energy, preferred position in relation to handler, or lateral distance. These will also have an effect on which method of contact is best, I imagine...?
Linda McCluskey

Postby Pam Ellwood on Sun 02 Jan, 2011 12:56 pm

Linda McCluskey wrote:But how about sensitivity (or lack of) to movement, or change of pace, or voice, or handler energy, preferred position in relation to handler, or lateral distance. These will also have an effect on which method of contact is best, I imagine...?

I can't see how any of that would affect the choice between running or 2o2o contacts. They're matters to be considered and trained for whichever method you use.

Pam
Pam Ellwood

Postby Linda McCluskey on Sun 02 Jan, 2011 2:33 pm

I agree completely, Pam, that you do have to consider and train your dog, having these thoughts in mind, and I also feel it is good to compete with them in mind too. And, depending on which sensitivities your dog has, choosing a contact method that compliments them sounds like a good plan.
Linda McCluskey

Postby Chris Garrett on Sun 02 Jan, 2011 5:53 pm

Chris
Robbie, Inka, Lace, Bee and Look
Chris Garrett

Postby Marcia Hocking on Sun 02 Jan, 2011 6:25 pm

:lol: :lmao: :lmao: :idea: :yes:
Marcia Hocking

Postby Peter Elms on Tue 04 Jan, 2011 7:28 pm

I dont do running contacts with my dogs. Although I have a 12 month old pup who has done no contacts, except the seesaw, as I am swithering about running contacts. I have looked at many of the methods being used in this country and Europe and the States. They all have their pros and cons. I will need to decide very soon but I feel there is no rush at this stage. What is putting me off starting? Do I have the correct mental state to do continual repititions and keep up the happy state? Can I find time to fit in all the other stuff that an agility dog needs? Weaves, turns, working ahead(getting older), tunnels etc. I have the equipment on my doorstep but I have do have to work as well. But most importantly, does my dog have the mental state to do continual reps? So many things to consider. I have won 3 Champ tickets with stop contacts so is it a real big thing to do running contacts??
If people dont have access to their own training gear, so therefore attend a club, perhaps once a week for an hour, really dont have the correct set up to do it.
But that is only my opinion. :roll:
Peter Elms

Postby Sarah McLean on Fri 07 Jan, 2011 5:47 pm

I would like to agree with Kirsty about 2on2 off contacts. I am at a stand still now with my new dog, I do not know what to do next for the best. She is a very sensitive nervy dog and it has taken me a lot of time to get her to enjoy and be confident around agility. Now that she is enjoying it and having a great time, we decided to start adding a bit more to her training and started to train her 2on 2 off with a target. The end of the contact should have been the best place for her to be, food rewards, toys when she got down there, I thought she would drive down, but this has actually put her off contacts! she refused to go on them and if she did she would creep down looking really petrified. Before she used to fly down with no hesitation. We have tried her on a plank on the ground , and a lowered dogwalk and A frame and she was still nervous.
I have been told to stop training her contacts for now. But I dont know what to do next... she is a terrier cross and does leap off the A frame, her stride does not take her all the way down. Ok she is getting her contacts by an inch or 2 but this is so unreliable.
I am new to agility (12months now) and I have not a clue about how to go about training running contacts, or even if this is the way to go? I have been told terriers are not good at running contacts, and I only have access to contact equiptment at training. Unless I invest in a plank or something for at home, so could not put the repetition in that is required.
Sarah and the pocket pooches Kita and Belle.
Sarah McLean

Postby Hannah Grantham on Fri 07 Jan, 2011 11:33 pm

I have found that some small dogs tend to struggle with the 2o2o contact on the A frame, Boo and Fluke do not seem to have the ability to pull back once the momentum of the down is taking them, when I have done 2o2o on the A frame with both dogs the only way they can do it is to stop at the apex and come downwards very slowly.

Boo has fantastic running contacts in training but not in competition, it has now dawned on me why so need to work on it :D as for Fluke I started her on 2o2o and have tried some running, with this I have notices she attacks the contact faster if I don't stop her.

One day I will have a dog with perfect contacts...... maybe not I run terriers lol :duh:
Running terriers is like a box of chocs.. you never know what you are gonna get!
Hannah Grantham

Postby Sarah McLean on Sat 08 Jan, 2011 6:15 pm

Hi Hannah, I agree with you, Even Kita who does do 2o2o has trouble getting them if she is going too fast. Her back end flips over her front and she falls off on the A frame. It does slow a dog down a hell of a lot if they cannot get them at speed. Well how did you train your running contacts? Because I think from the advice I have been given by many people I have spoken to, that is the route I shall be going down with Belle. She is too low drive to have stops.
Sarah and the pocket pooches Kita and Belle.
Sarah McLean

Postby Laura Sivell on Sat 08 Jan, 2011 7:05 pm

My medium dog Ziggy does running contacts, hasn't missed one in competition since May 2006, though I've pulled her off them sideways in training a few times by being too far away (she's not great at distance working). She's not a fast dog, but is generally accurate. I don't know how she came to do running contacts, it just seemed to happen naturally, I'd run alongside, draw my hand down above the contact and she'd follow it to the bottom. When I started with her, there was less emphasis on 2o2o then there seems to be now.
I'm teaching 2o2o with my new dog, hopefully attaching a quick release to it in time, though I feel a bit torn about which way's best to go. With a faster dog, it should give me more time to get into position if I can hold her on the contact. A 2o2o with quick release must be very nearly as fast as running, and it must be better to have the option of holding the dog back.
Laura Sivell

Postby Nic Jones on Sat 08 Jan, 2011 9:23 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGgggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Quick releases are not as quick, not the same as running contacts.

In terms of speed don't just think of the time on the actual contact, also think of the time in accelerating back up to full speed even from a quick release.
Nic Jones

Postby Christine Robson on Sat 08 Jan, 2011 10:06 pm

Nic Jones wrote:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGgggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Quick releases are not as quick, not the same as running contacts.

Stop it..........!!!!!!!!!!!! Naughty, naughty........!!!!!!!!!!!! :devil: :cheeky: :laugh: :laugh:
Christine Robson

Postby Lindsey Bailey on Fri 17 Jun, 2011 5:10 pm

Love the video :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have 2 large dogs, one is a terrier cross something or other (not a Collie) the other a BC cross but about as border collie as it gets! Both of them do 2o2o with quick release!

I think if you have hours and hours a day to spend on running contacts then that is great :lol: but we all love agility but we have lives! I train my dogs as much as I can and I have some stuff at home too. They love agility but I really don't think if all they did for hours each day was train running contacts that they would love it! They clearly take ALOT of work to get right!

Dawn Weaver using 2o2o quick release at least with the beardy dogs...

Leela is a nervous BC, scared of failure but she thinks 2o2o is the best thing in the world! She loves it! I always praise her (verbally) when she gets them correct BUT she will get a treat or toy if she runs like the clappers to the contact! She has a super ability to stop! She doesn't hesitate on the down plank until her toes are in the yellow as she knows the faster she does it the higher the reward! This applies to the release, if I say OK and she dordles she just gets a good girl but if she drives like a wild dog she gets treat/toy! I hjave found this works well, we have consistanty, I can slow her if I need to for a jump ect but they are also very very fast conatcts and with a quick release I am sure she is not far behind a running contact and I AM SURE that she will hit it!

My little chap is slower and I use 2o2o so that he realsies what is required! I have tried running at first as I thought this may help as he is slow but he is not the brightest dog and needs that extra push, the contact is a super super place to be and so encourages him to run to the end quicker! Before doing this with him he had such a slow dog walk you could have had a cupa while he did it :lol: :lol: :lol:

All methods must suit your dog and only you are your trainer can figure out which is best! My 2 love 2o2o and I have found it works well and doesn't silly amounts of time to train and the message of what I want is clear!

I have a suggestion and please don't shoot me if I am talking out of my bum but.....

Can you not train and 2o2o then slowly change this into a running using a carefully timed system of quick release, quicker release and so on so that eventually the dog is doing a running contact but always hitting the bottom! Like I say I am not an expert so please do not shoot me just an idea :bash: :bash:

:wave:
Lyndsey Leela Cody Rudi Alfie & Foxy. Run Free Zeke, will always miss you xx
Lindsey Bailey

Postby Lindsey Bailey on Fri 17 Jun, 2011 5:48 pm

:lol:

I know I 50% quick release!

I thought maybe you could quick release until the dog was actually just running through the contact! So before it has stopped you are saying the release word.... a sort of backwards way of teaching a running contact!
Lyndsey Leela Cody Rudi Alfie & Foxy. Run Free Zeke, will always miss you xx
Lindsey Bailey

Postby Gemma Sheen on Sat 18 Jun, 2011 2:21 pm

I think, (and I am quite possibly wrong!), that although the dog may not stop with a quick release 2o2o it has decelerated in preparation to stop as it has been trained to stop at the end of the contact and not drive away until released, but with a true running contact the dog is taught to drive all the way through with no deceleration. I guess the end result may look quite similar.

As you know with Sean I 50% quick release and I don't want him to know whether I will be releasing or not so there will always be an element of deceleration, I prefer to keep that level of control with him as he has been known to fly a few contacts and particularly on the dogwalk his natural stride pattern misses the contact most times. With Abi I may try running contacts (jury is out on that one ATM!).

Are you considering always quick releasing so that the dog knows he will always run off the end of the contact and not be stopped and therefore develop a running contact?
Gemma Sheen

PreviousNext

Return to Agility Training and Handling