It is currently Mon 20 Nov, 2017 9:36 am

help with barking

Tips and techniques

help with barking

Postby laine fletcher on Sun 01 Aug, 2010 7:36 pm

Can any one give me some ideas with my dog ellie, which is the best way to deal with a dog thats barks at you while going around a course. should you stop and get control or try and carry
Ellie (105x140).jpg
she looks so well behaved
Ellie (105x140).jpg (5.82 KiB) Viewed 3759 times
on and hoping she will grow out off it
laine fletcher

Re: help with barking

Postby Gemma Wickenden on Sun 01 Aug, 2010 8:26 pm

my black and white would bark at me all the time on a course, patch pointed it out and worded it a lot kinder than i'm about to present it to you :) once i shut my great big trap then so did the dog lol
i nagged and shouted ahead to every piece of equipment and so she gobbed back, once i shut up and ran smoother then so did she. i do get a gob full from her from time to time but thats when i've gone wrong. my collie has a mouth as foul as mine :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :laugh:

cant say its the same for you because i've not seen you work but it made a huge difference to me. *thanks patch* :D
Gemma Wickenden

Postby laine fletcher on Sun 01 Aug, 2010 8:32 pm

thanks your dog sounds like mine, and they are not very forgiving when it wrong i will try saying less it this week training thanks :wave:
Attachments
P4080355 (640x480).jpg
ellie so cute
P4080355 (640x480).jpg (87.8 KiB) Viewed 3640 times
laine fletcher

Postby Laura Houvenaghel on Sun 01 Aug, 2010 8:42 pm

Was going to suggest same as Gemma. Worked for a girl at our training! Watching the difference in the dog when she wasn't verbally commanding was amazing! It's like the dog was thinking bark at me and I'll bark back!
Laura Houvenaghel

Postby Liz Stevens on Thu 05 Aug, 2010 1:09 pm

Have tried shutting up, it didnt help, any more ideas? :? At training he is much quieter so think it may be part of his excitement at competition? It has become worse recently I think because we had a year out and are both rusty, if we ever have a perfect round maybe it will be a quiet one too? :cheeky: :D
The view is always improved by a stripey a black and white and two browns......
Liz Stevens

Postby Louise Angus on Thu 05 Aug, 2010 2:14 pm

Does Ellie bark when you are waiting to run the course, or is it only on the course? And how long have you been training with her?

One possible situation, I'm not saying this is the case, but if it is only when you run the course it may have become a conditioned behaviour...so if she starts barking as your running round it may be worth stopping and taking her to the side line and then trying again and so on until she understands that it is not necessary for her to bark whilst you are running? In effect you are rewarding her for barking by running the course with her.

Or she is fustrated and is unsure what to do therefore is barking at you to try and tell you she doesn't understand what to do..

I have the barking problem the other way round...when we are on the sidelines waiting Henry gets excited & fustrated and he barks and springs on all fours like zebedee...I ignore the behaviour until he is quiet then praise him for it then set him up. When we are running he is generally quiet.

P.S. She is beautiful :love:
I am a woman of many moods, all of which involve chocolate!!
Louise Angus

Postby Katie McManigan on Thu 05 Aug, 2010 4:21 pm

One of my dogs barks at me (or rather screams) :hissyfit: but only if she has done something wrong and I correct it, i.e missed contact and put back on or more than one go at the weaves. Once she starts barking though she doesn't stop until your done on the course and it drives me mad so I generally correct the mistake, if she starts barking I take her straight out of the ring and it is starting to work.

Obviously it may not work with your dog.

Hope that helps a little.

Kate
Katie McManigan

Postby Ruth Turner on Sun 30 Dec, 2012 7:18 pm

I think that a dog barking as they go round is fine, as long as it is not hindering their performance, i.e they are not missing contacts or going the wrong way or ignoring your signal etcs.

With my dog he barks when he is confused or unsure of what I've asked him or if I correct him when he's doing wrong. When he stops listening and is barking I tell him to down, go to him and then move him away and start again.

If my dog is stood on a contact 2o2o barking at me then that's great because he's self rewarding for doing the contact correctly.

Removing a dog from the ring for barking is a little harsh, a down works much better and you can reward the dog for stopping and listening by letting them carry on. Barking is allowed and if it doesnt affect the performance I see no reason to stop it. Your dog will enjoy his run more if he can bark if thats what he wants to do.
Ruth Turner

Postby Jan Stubbs on Sun 30 Dec, 2012 9:58 pm

laine fletcher wrote:Can any one give me some ideas with my dog ellie, which is the best way to deal with a dog thats barks at you while going around a course. should you stop and get control or try and carry
Ellie (105x140).jpg
on and hoping she will grow out off it

...some really good industrial ear defenders! :yes: :) :winking:
Jan Stubbs

Postby Kirsty Bennett on Mon 31 Dec, 2012 12:32 pm

Iain, if she's still concentrating and you can tolerate the barking I'd just carry on - but she probably won't grow out of it :winking: My girly barks while she's working but I don't notice it any more - I only know she does it from watching videos! If she;s not concentrating when she's working or you just don't want her to bark I'd stop the game either by waiting and downing her or removing her from the equipment if stopping doesn't work (some dogs will just bark more out of frustration when you stand still). However, barking while waiting to work I would work to stop because it can really affect other people and prevents you from being able to concentrate on the course. Again, my girl just found agility far too exciting when we first started and she would bark and lunge and generally make a nuisance of herself while waiting. It took a lot of work but she will now stand quietly and tug or do tricks while waiting and stay mostly quiet. If your dog only barks when she's working, lucky you!
Worry is like a rocking horse- it keeps you busy but gets you nowhere!
Kirsty
Kirsty Bennett

Postby Jan Stubbs on Mon 31 Dec, 2012 3:42 pm

...ooooor...you can borrow an Aussie from someone I know...then Ellie will seem real quiet!!!! :grin: :cheeky: :winking:
Jan Stubbs

Return to Agility Training and Handling