It is currently Sun 19 Nov, 2017 2:32 pm

Injuries from slipping on floor - experience

Tips from fellow readers
Forum information
This is a public area of the board.

If you are looking for clubs etc in specific areas, your query should be posted in the Members Only section.

Injuries from slipping on floor - experience

Postby Kerry Lynch on Mon 03 Dec, 2012 3:17 pm

My 6 month old collie pup Timmy has gone lame right hind. I think he slipped on the flooring (we took up carpet as we are renovating) but i didnt see it. He had a few strides of hopping then was weight bearing again and a bit sore then looked fine. We did lead walks friday and he was Ok saturday so was off lead. Saturday night he didnt look right again although he was walking on the leg. Since sunday he has been hopping lame and cant hardly put the leg to the floor. He didnt do anything exercise wise from Saturday to Sunday. He is clearly in pain. I took him to the vets yesterday and he was useless. Said he couldnt really examine Timmy as he was too wiggly ???? Anyway i insisted he feel his leg and he said he would guess the knee but couldnt be sure. So he has given him a week of metacam and said lead walks for the week. if no better the end of the week then xrays.

So he had a metacam injection yesterday at 1pm. He thought about running around and decided against it and was able to weight bear on the leg but is still lame. He is still resting all the time and generally looking like he is in pain. When he stands up he holds the leg up and then gradually starts to use it - thats even on the metacam.

Ive booked him to see a new vet tomorrow night. he said dont give him the metacam tonight so he can examine him properly tomorrow.

With the severity of the lameness (he is 10:10ths lame even on painkillers) i wouldnt expect a difference in a day but i cant beleive the vet said lead walks - he cant even walk to the garden. He also said knee, could be cruciate or another ligament in that area. My other dog is on lead walks after a suspected cruciate strain and he is no where near as lame as Timmy.

I have also been in touch with a physio to see her after ive spoken to the vet tomorrow.

Has anyone any experience of this degee of lameness and such a sudden onset in a young dog?? I am beside myself with worry and its heartbreaking seeing Timmy in pain.
Kerry Lynch

Re: Injuries from slipping on floor - experience

Postby Jan Stubbs on Mon 03 Dec, 2012 3:38 pm

Oh poor Timmy... you must be frantic with worry. Hopefully he's pulled something badly but it will mend... I just hope so. You and your dogs deserve some good luck so I am crossing my fingers and hope this will heal with no lasting damage.

So sorry not to be more helpful but good luck at the vets and send lots of get well wishes to Timmy. . xx
Jan Stubbs

Postby Paula Kingswood on Mon 03 Dec, 2012 3:45 pm

My Tom started being hopping lame on a front leg after training and couldn't put any weight on it, he had metacam which didn't really seem to make much difference but it was quite intermittant and if I picked him up it seemed to solve it until the next agility session.

I took him for his massage therapy with Galen and it turned out that he'd pulled the muscles in his chest which was obviosuly relieved when he hopped. We think it was related to a whiplash accident he's had playing with my other dog.

Not sure if this helps but you could ask your vet to check muscle as well as bone when you go especially of he doesn't find anything obvious.

Try not to worry (who am I to say that I panic when mine look at me funny :cheeky: )
Paula Kingswood

Postby Mary McKie on Mon 03 Dec, 2012 9:42 pm

Can't help with any information Kerry, but I do hope Timmy gets better soon. You have had such a hard time with your dogs. Sending hugs :hugs:
Mary, Corrie, Todd and Breeze
Dogs with Epilepsy Support Group
Mary McKie

Postby Pat Reynolds on Tue 04 Dec, 2012 8:09 am

My girl kept on going lame and couldn't weight bear on her left rear leg - we took her to Galen Therapy who examined her thoroughly and said that she had strained a muscle which goes from the neck/chest area down the body to the rear legs. She had some massage treatment and was rested from all training for 6 weeks. She could not even do obedience as even lifting her head to work in a heelwork position would stop the healing process. She was fine after the 6 weeks - and has been good all year until last week at agility training I think she was not warm enough when we started to work and she showed similar symptoms as before - my own fault!!! How bad do I feel? Interesting though that a muscle injury can affect the entire side of a dog - get that checked out. Best of luck.
Pat Reynolds

Postby Brenda White on Tue 04 Dec, 2012 5:54 pm

Joss (collie) slipped on laminate flooring and dislocated his right hip. All in all he dislocated it 4 times (others not on flooring) before we got it to stay in, on xray his hips were good. He had 2 years off agility and is now back enjoying his fave thing. Although he was kept on lead as instructed by the vet, after the 4th time I would not let him off the lead until he sat square. That is with no right foot sticking out. I could feel when it was out by feeling both hips at the same time from behind, when it came out it slipped unedrneath, most slip ontop. I don't think your pup has the same problem, but please be aware of slippy floors.
Brenda White

Postby Pat Draper on Tue 04 Dec, 2012 8:25 pm

there is a thing called panosteoitis ,which he is about the right age for it is quite uncommon , but might be worth a look at
Pat Draper

Postby Kerry Lynch on Fri 07 Dec, 2012 9:41 am

Thanks everyone and for all the messages with recommendations.

Timmy became weight bearing Monday night and stopped holding the leg up at all. I took him to the new vet Tuesday night and he assessed him thoroughly. Unfortunelty Timmy was excited and bounced around like a 6 month collie pups tends to do so im sure the vet thinks im mad. He couldnt find anything wrong and said probably sprained muscle. He said rest for a few more days then if he looks ok go back to normal. I dont agree with that so i called Amanda Sutton the physio as she was recommended. I spoke to Stephanie who works for her and said Timmy seems good now. He is back to wanting to charge around although he is a bit sulky he isnt getting walked.

Stephanie said the reaction was a bit severe for a sprained muscle and i agree. Hopping for 2 days then within another 24 hours starting to charge around is odd. So Timmy is seeing the physio Tuesday morning and he is being rested until then. As many covers over the horrid floor as i can muster and close monitoring. New flooring now booked for a week Monday and hubbie under orders to get the rooms skirting and doors done and the whole thing painted in the next 9 days :)

I cant believe Timmy did it within a few minutes of the carpet coming up, although i didnt see the slip i just assume thats what it was. Ive always thought he is very 'weak' looking. I guess after Sam they all look weak as Sam was a proper boy with bones twice as thick as moss and Timmy and he looked so strong. I would never have worried about Sams joints or anything - although that worry would have been less horrendous than the epilepsy i know.
Anyway i know im paranoid after this year but when i try to relax it still goes wrong. So just wait and see again. Im staring so hard at him i dont know what im seeing anymore. The physio is very recommended and ive used dog physios alot many years ago so hopefully she can help.

If I ever come on here saying im getting another collie please all tell me NO! and shoot me if i insist :tut:
Kerry Lynch

Postby Kerry Lynch on Fri 07 Dec, 2012 9:44 am

Oh and Pat - rare diseases are my thing - i seem to have a knack for them. Ive looked up panosteoitis and am hoping its not that, although the hip dislocation mentioned by Brenda sounds a possibility. Ive had that in a horse before so ill look timmy over when i get home from work and see if he had the symptoms the horse did.
Kerry Lynch

Postby Kerry Lynch on Tue 11 Dec, 2012 3:28 pm

Timmy went to see Stephanie today, a physio, who works for Amanda Sutton. She was very good. It was disheartening to see Timmy obviously not right - and someone else could see it too not like the vets - i shed a little tear when i got home.

He isnt carrying weight on the right hind and he isnt bending it underneath him properly even though he has been rested for 10 days. He has a very sore sacral lumbar area. The vet didnt even check his back. grrrrrrrrr. and i specifically asked them to as i suspected it. The physio did some laser treatment on him and said give him metacam and walks on lead and take him back to her next Thursday 20th Dec. She would expect a good improvement but if theres none then its xrays but she thinks its the muscle and i really hope thats it. The injury is consistant with a slip on the flooring.
Timmy was very clear about where he didnt want to be touched and by the end he just looked alot more relaxed. He is a bit sore now he is home but thats to be expected. At least he can now go for lead walks i suppose so it should keep him happier. I hate all this wait and see stuff and i think the tears are of frustration and disbelief of 3 dogs ill in a row and all in 11 months. That and pregnancy hormones as im currently 21 weeks pregnant.

Can i get another dog now (an adult non collie - got my eye on a lab x cocker spaniel at the rescue i foster for) with Timmy and Moss to recuperate and a baby on the way? Id like to get back to agility but tuggie makes my back hurt and i cant really run so not the best idea i know.
Kerry Lynch

Postby Becky Layphries on Tue 11 Dec, 2012 5:07 pm

Big hugs for Timmy, hope he does improve, sounds hopeful x Good luck with everything :flowers:
Becky Layphries

Postby Kerry Lynch on Mon 31 Dec, 2012 10:36 am

Well Timmy hasnt got better. Im a little shell shocked really.

We went back to the physio and she said the muscle spasms had gone but he still wasnt right, so we went to the vet. He said he didnt think an xray would find the problem so referred us to the consultants - Fitzpatrick referrels. He went in xmas eve and had xrays and an MRI. They found he has disc degeneration in discs L4 and L5 and a slipped disc at L5. The disc is protruding into his spinal canal but doesnt appear to be impeeding the nerve. The vet said that would explain symptoms. He has very little reflex in his hind legs and gave a pain response to most of the tests on his back legs and tail. He also had a possible sign of a broken toe but the vet wasnt sure as it was all healed (if it was ever broken) and it may just have been the angle of the MRI machine.

So he is on strong tablets and painkillers and back for a check up in 2 weeks. He is unlikely to be able to do agility although they dont know for sure but he should be able to lead an otherwise active life. They dont scan many 7 month olds so they dont know whats normal and whats not. Both me and hubby have had slipped discs and we know how careful you have to be with them so it seems agilty is unlikely, espeically at full height.

Seems that he had a weakness in his back discs and the slip on the floor caused the slipped disc.

To top it all he decided to chew through the brand new flooring in the dining room which is the dogs room. It was overnight. He had been walked and fussed and played with and it was only a few hours. He has been chewing the skirting for a while but this is something else. The flooring has only been down 6 weeks and cost alot of money. Timmy really doesnt want us to like him and he is doing a good job. Im ashamed to say that ive had enough now and i would rehome him if i could.

Ive given up on agility. My baby is due in april so ill focus on her and then see how i feel after that. Ill have to get another dog to do it with though but that terrifies me as i just seem to break them. I asked the physio if it was me causing these problems and she said no as all the issues are so different and were just really unlucky.

At the moment id just like to be able to take them all for a walk together. I have teyha who can happily do as long as i can and shes off lead, Moss is just starting on flexi and does about 30 mins twice a day after his cruciate tear 6 weeks ago and his elbow operation in April, and now Timmy is on 15 mins short lead walk 3 times a day. I have a full time job and a house to renovate and a tonne of hospital appointments (4 this week due to a virus and the risk to me because of crohns and my immune system being suppressed by drugs and baby). Ill be so glad when 2012 is over. I need to resign myself to it all going wrong again, this time with Timmy. I should be used to it by now.

Sorry rant over. I know its not Timmys fault he is sick but i feel desperately low about it all and i still miss Sam so much.
Kerry Lynch

Postby Becky Layphries on Mon 31 Dec, 2012 11:03 am

Kerry that's really sad news :tears: you have been so unlucky with your dogs. :( xx
Becky Layphries

Postby Kirsty Bennett on Mon 31 Dec, 2012 12:11 pm

Kerry, I'm so sorry to hear this news :tears: Your story with Sam had me in tears and now you're having bad luck with Timmy too, it's just so unfair :( Hopefully things will improve for you and this time next year it'll all be a distant memory. Just remember there is NO way you could be causing these things - it's horrible luck and nobody deserves that so don't beat yourself up about it. Focussing on your baby is the most important thing at the moment and I really hope all this stress turns out to be worth it so that you can enjoy your dogs and your baby next year. Fingers very tightly crossed that this is the last negative for you and next year will be the payoff for the stress xx
Worry is like a rocking horse- it keeps you busy but gets you nowhere!
Kirsty
Kirsty Bennett

Postby Jan Stubbs on Mon 31 Dec, 2012 3:16 pm

Oh Kerry! So sorry to see your update! Gutting. You have had such awful times with your dogs! Just so sorry.

It's so not your fault - just so unlucky... I have seen too many folk this year go through such awful times with their dogs and with their family members - it really has been the most awful of awful years for far too many good people!

Fingers crossed for things to somehow start getting better... xx :tears: xx :hug: :flowers: xx
Jan Stubbs

Next

Return to Canine Health and Behaviour