It is currently Mon 20 Nov, 2017 9:45 am

Lower Height Option

For a wide range of agility issues
Forum information
This is a public area of the board, for agility topics of general interest. Click on the Board Index link to see the full list of sections available to post in.

Please use the various Shows sections further down the board for questions about specific agility shows. If you are searching for clubs in particular areas, or trying to contact someone, your query should be posted in the Members Only section.

Lower Height Option

Postby Doreen Sizeland on Mon 09 May, 2016 7:01 am

Am I right in thinking that, if I enter a qualifier at a show and no lower height option is offered, then I have to do full height in any other class I enter at that show? I am very amused by the fact that the schedules are referring to the mark used to indicate lower height option as an asterix. I thought that was a comic character and the little star was an asterisk :D :D
Doreen Sizeland

Re: Lower Height Option

Postby Fiona Hulse on Sat 03 Sep, 2016 7:21 pm

What are people's experiences of the LHO?
Fiona & Bliss x
Standard Height Supporters Group
Fiona Hulse
Agility Addicts
Agility Addicts

Postby Trish Shenton on Sun 04 Sep, 2016 4:51 pm

I haven't entered lower height for the reason you mention - not that I enter qualifers expecting to get anywhere but at some shows could have meant travelling possibly a fair distance for three runs at lh or being able to do 4 if stay at fh.
Trish, Poppy and Timmy
Trish Shenton

Postby Fiona Hulse on Sun 04 Sep, 2016 8:44 pm

That's a pity if there's discrimination of that kind, Trish.

On the whole I like what I've heard about the LHO, except for the following:

- where combined awards are offered for FH and LH leading to complaints of unfairness to FH dogs.

- that it does not address the 4th height issue, as there should be a FH 55cm with a LH 45cm for the 'small Large' dogs.

Bliss is firmly a Veteran so all this doesn't affect her, and I suspect Sunny will grow tall enough to be above Standard height so while he could I guess run in the LHO, he wouldn't qualify for a proper 4th height once it's introduced. That does not one bit, however, alter my firm belief that a 4th height needs to be introduced.

Back when I supported it in the past, an ALC member accused me of only wanting it for my own dog. That was untrue then and is still untrue now. The LHO for Large dogs is not a replacement for proper FH and LH options for Standard 4th height dogs.
Fiona & Bliss x
Standard Height Supporters Group
Fiona Hulse
Agility Addicts
Agility Addicts

Postby Karin Pound on Tue 27 Sep, 2016 7:01 pm

For my 8 3/4yo, 495cm collie the LHO has meant he can do kc standard classes for a bit longer so the lower height is great for us.Had the LHO not been introduced he would now be retired as he was knocking a fair few poles at FH.
At UKA shows he´s measured into standard ht (55cm)
In Cornwall, where I live, we sadly only have one UKA show (Tamisje) per year.
Locally, KC LHO has only been offered/scheduled at the Mid Cornwall October show so have been to several agility shows further north in order to run my short legged but v capable boy.
I also run two more dogs,who both jump FH as they have no issues clearing FH.
What I find strange tho´ is that one can swap and change between LHO and FH albeit not at the same show. Imho one should choose a height and stick with it.
Karin Pound

Return to The Agility Forum