It is currently Sun 19 Nov, 2017 2:30 pm

cheque alternatives

For a wide range of agility issues
Forum information
This is a public area of the board, for agility topics of general interest. Click on the Board Index link to see the full list of sections available to post in.

Please use the various Shows sections further down the board for questions about specific agility shows. If you are searching for clubs in particular areas, or trying to contact someone, your query should be posted in the Members Only section.

cheque alternatives

Postby Lynne Dickson on Wed 16 Jan, 2013 7:10 pm

We have just changed banks and been told that they no longer issue cheque books. If we want a cheque made it will cost £10 per cheque and they will soon be doing away with cheques altogether within 2 years. Now with shoe entries due what are my alternative ways of payment? The bank is saying the show secretary should provide the sort and account number of the club account to be able to pay straight into them. Postal orders are almost as expensive, so what do I do? :hissyfit:
Lynne, Schumi & Dash
Lynne Dickson

Re: cheque alternatives

Postby Christine Robson on Wed 16 Jan, 2013 7:32 pm

What bank have you changed to?
Christine Robson

Postby Liz Finchett on Wed 16 Jan, 2013 7:33 pm

What about setting up a bank account with a bank / building society who does issue cheque books just to use for your for dog shows

Liz
Liz Finchett

Postby Pam Ellwood on Wed 16 Jan, 2013 8:14 pm

i would just not change to that bank at all if they can't provide the service that I need.

All very well for the bank to be telling you what show secretaries "should" do but they don't have to keep track of making sure who has paid what. I'm sure they don't appreciate the scale involved or the number of wrong amounts we get.

Yes, I know we could all pay processors to do the checking for us, and I'm sure they do a good job, but quite a few of us choose not to for various reasons and we certainly don't want to be forced into it by banks like this.

The government back tracked from its plan to move away from cheques completely because of the protest from people who wanted to keep the option.
Pam Ellwood

Postby Philippa Verstraete on Thu 17 Jan, 2013 1:10 am

For entering shows alot of people enter via ISS. I can't give you many details because I don't use it myself but lots of people swear by it. This may solve your problem. I am sure you can google it or someone may post a link for you. Basically as I understand it you register with them, pay money into your IsS account(Via bank if you want) and then enter shows against your ISS account. The schedules are on there and you can book camping.
Philippa Verstraete

Postby Helen Fletcher on Thu 17 Jan, 2013 7:18 am

Not every show uses show processors like ISS, Change your bank Lynne and tell them why, they can't provide a service that you need.
Helen
& the versatile Belgians
Helen Fletcher

Postby Ulla Groos on Thu 17 Jan, 2013 7:46 am

I thought all banks wanted to abolish cheque books? :?
The Raw Feeding Group.
Ulla Groos
Wicked Witch
Wicked Witch

Postby Laura Sivell on Thu 17 Jan, 2013 10:35 am

Ulla Groos wrote:I thought all banks wanted to abolish cheque books? :?

I'm sure they do, it'a a costly process for them. But if the customer demands cheques, they will have to keep providing them. My bank (Nationwide) will provide a chequebook on request, but you no longer get them automatically.
Laura Sivell

Postby Celine Ellis on Thu 17 Jan, 2013 10:47 am

My bank doesnt issue cheque books as standard anymore, you have to request one.

Most high street banks are 'phasing out' cheques altogether and i am sure within a short time (2 years perhaps as the OP stated) they wont be available at all for personal accounts.

I completely understand why show organisers dont want to deal with BACS transfers, and not all shows want to pay ISS or similar for their services just to handle payments. but it might be something that does need considering.
Celine Ellis

Postby Pauline Marshall on Thu 17 Jan, 2013 12:38 pm

Hi my understanding is that the proposal to withdraw chegue books has been scrapped
Pauline, Jym, Moss & Joe
Pauline Marshall

Postby Pam Ellwood on Thu 17 Jan, 2013 3:43 pm

Just to say that we get new cheque books sent to us automatically by Halifax.

As has been said, banks would like to get rid of them and the government was going along with the plan but had to retreat in the face of complaints from mainly older people who wanted to keep the option.

Banks ignore the power of the grey pound at their peril.

I think I'm probably pretty typical in my banking habits using a combination of
Cheques
On line banking
Credit card (in person and on line)
Debit card
Paypal
Even cash

Works for me.
Pam Ellwood

Postby Helen Smith on Thu 17 Jan, 2013 5:35 pm

Pam Ellwood wrote:Just to say that we get new cheque books sent to us automatically by Halifax.

Me too - and they gave me £100 to switch my account to them as well.
Helen Smith

Postby Isobel Crawford on Fri 18 Jan, 2013 6:59 am

Barclays are still issuing cheque books automatically, not that I don't use a lot anymore.
Isobel, Bonnie and Amber xx
Isobel Crawford

Postby Helen Fletcher on Fri 18 Jan, 2013 8:08 am

Just received my cheque book (automatically) from HSBC :clap:
Helen
& the versatile Belgians
Helen Fletcher

Postby Kerstin McDonagh on Fri 18 Jan, 2013 8:22 am

iSS isn't an option if you live up north. Very interesting that the Halifax still issues cheque books automatically - I'm with HBOS, and have to request one when I run out.
Kerstin McDonagh

Next

Return to The Agility Forum