It is currently Mon 20 Nov, 2017 9:41 am

Question to Agilitynet

For a wide range of agility issues
Forum information
This is a public area of the board, for agility topics of general interest. Click on the Board Index link to see the full list of sections available to post in.

Please use the various Shows sections further down the board for questions about specific agility shows. If you are searching for clubs in particular areas, or trying to contact someone, your query should be posted in the Members Only section.

Re: Question to Agilitynet

Postby Christine Stratford on Sun 09 Dec, 2012 7:54 pm

"Illinois has a grand total of 14 approved AKC agility judges living in the entire state"

Tim, I guess we're spoilt over here :blush: and complain too much :devil:
Christine Stratford

Postby Pam Ellwood on Sun 09 Dec, 2012 8:15 pm

Tim Dyer wrote:England 360 miles long by 270 wide

But nowhere in England is more than about 70 miles from the sea. I think you'd only get 270 miles in width if you measured between somewhere like Margate in Kent and Barnstaple in Devon. Most of the country is considerably narrower, especially in the north, so we're even smaller. (Many of the inhabitants would wish that were true of themselves, I'm sure.)

I bet there are some clubs with getting on for 14 judges.
Pam Ellwood

Postby Pam Ellwood on Sun 09 Dec, 2012 8:17 pm

Christine Stratford wrote:
I guess we're spoilt over here :blush: and complain too much :devil:

But what would we do to amuse ourselves when not actively doing agility if we didn't have a good whinge?
Pam Ellwood

Postby Tim Dyer on Sun 09 Dec, 2012 8:33 pm

Pam Ellwood wrote: I think you'd only get 270 miles in width if you measured between

Maybe they are measuring between latitude lines and calling that "width". Illinois is only 210 miles wide at the widest point and the majority of the state is narrower. In reality, the weather here isn't so crappy that I really give a :censored:.... :D

To keep it all on topic, the majority of the approved judges live in the northern most part of the state. Not much of anything lives in the south :devil:
Tim Dyer
Ol' Blue Eyes

Postby Pam Ellwood on Sun 09 Dec, 2012 8:52 pm

Tim Dyer wrote:To keep it all on topic,

Spoilsport.
Pam Ellwood

Postby Jan Stubbs on Mon 10 Dec, 2012 10:36 am

Tim Dyer wrote:
The state of Illinois in which I live, is roughly the size of England .If you trust Google information, Illinois is 390 miles long by 210 wide, England 360 miles long by 270 wide (crap weather here today so I have time on my hands). Illinois has a grand total of 14 approved AKC agility judges living in the entire state.

we are about the size of Florida but with 1/5th of the population of the USA all squashed into it! Our motorways are like your city ring roads in rush hour! Here 50 miles = 200 US miles! At least! Added to this is the cost of fuel here and the tax and welfare state leaving many people with almost no disposable income. So the cost of travelling here is relatively shocking. And added to this our average roads were built by a bunch of drunks!!! :winking:

Three members of our family have married US citizens... two tried living over here and they found our roads shocking! My sis-i-l drove 200 miles on the M1 once and never wanted to do it again! She couldn't believe it was only 200 miles! And she lived in NY so she knows 'traffic'! lol

So if 1/5th of the population of the US all moved to Illinois and you rebuilt the road network to resemble a medieval road network and throw in a couple of 3 lane motorways and permenantly mess them up with loads of roadworks and overturned lorries, and vastly increase the cost of fuel you could have what we have here. :grin: :winking:
Jan Stubbs

Postby Pam Ellwood on Mon 10 Dec, 2012 11:20 am

Jan Stubbs wrote:Our motorways are like your city ring roads in rush hour! Here 50 miles = 200 US miles! At least! Added to this is the cost of fuel here and the tax and welfare state leaving many people with almost no disposable income. So the cost of travelling here is relatively shocking. And added to this our average roads were built by a bunch of drunks!!! :winking:

I hate to think how big our shows would be if that weren't the case.

Sorry about the state of the roads - I spent 5 years buying up houses in Stockport in the 70s so they could be knocked down to build the M60.
Pam Ellwood

Postby Tim Dyer on Mon 10 Dec, 2012 12:06 pm

I must admit that when I was over there I didn't pay much attention to the roads but then again, I spent all of my time either in the Cotswolds or London proper. The tarmac I do remember seemed fine.

The major roadways around Chicago are constantly under repair. We joke that there are only two seasons in Chicago. Winter and Road Construction. Much of that is due to our weather. The extreme heat we had this past summer buckled the pavement. In the winter, the freezing and thawing causes the same thing to happen. We end up with huge pot holes in the road by the time spring comes. Then the repairs have to start all over again. The major interstate roadways get completely torn up and redone every 4-5 years. I am lucky that I do not have to travel into the actual city of Chicago very much with most of my work in the far west suburban areas.

O'Hare airport is the one we fly our judges in and out of. With all the road construction it is such a pain to get in and out of that area so we hire a limo service to pick up the judges and bring them to us (bringing us back on topic again....sort of :cheeky: )
Tim Dyer
Ol' Blue Eyes

Postby Pam Ellwood on Mon 10 Dec, 2012 12:18 pm

Tim Dyer wrote: we hire a limo service to pick up the judges and bring them to us

I'm thinking you may need to be banned from posting - entertaining though you are.

We can't have you giving our judges ideas. :winking:
Pam Ellwood

Postby Tim Dyer on Mon 10 Dec, 2012 12:35 pm

You have to remember that all of that comes out of the entry fees! Thankfully we have a club member who arranges all the travel for the company she works at so we get her discount rates....but is still costs. Well worth not having to go through the aggravation of that :censored: airport though.
Tim Dyer
Ol' Blue Eyes

Postby Brenda Tenten on Mon 10 Dec, 2012 2:12 pm

I'd like a kenneling service provided so that I knew my dogs were well looked after while I judged...... :yes: :flowers:
Brenda Tenten

Postby John Leslie on Mon 10 Dec, 2012 3:58 pm

Simon Chandler wrote:I was just wondering why Agilitynet having done a survey for the 4th height debate didnt do the same when the decision from the KC to stop spouses etc from Judging each other came up , and if they did and i missed it were the results published. Was it because it was KC driven ???? or was it because it was a done deal.

Just wondering !!!!

Simon - probably because nobody (including you) suggested it at the time!
We are always open to suggestions - if they are relevant and we have time to follow them up. Surveys do take a LOT of time to compose, set up and analyse if they are to be meaningful (and it costs us money each time). And in this instance, as Lorna says, the Forum did conduct a survey.

Not sure what you mean when you say: 'Was it because it was KC driven', by the way.
John Leslie

Postby Graeme MacGregor on Mon 10 Dec, 2012 5:53 pm

Much as I suspected, the point of the original post has been lost in diversions :-(

John, I suspect that Simon will answer himself but just a heads up, Simon did HUGE amounts of both lobbying and discussions on the subject during the time he spent discussing this on the KC liaison council, so your sarcasm is totally unfounded and also missed the original point of the post as well.
Graeme MacGregor

Postby Philippa Verstraete on Fri 14 Dec, 2012 3:47 pm

IMO the fourth height issue is an agility issue whereas the spouses ruling was a KC wide issue and was a 'fait de complis' in order to bring the agility world into line with the other KC disiplines. Don't get me wrong this doesn't mean I agree with the spouses ruling but I don't think 'we' had much choice in the matter as it wasn't an 'in house i.e agility' decision.
Philippa Verstraete

Postby Mo Morris on Tue 18 Dec, 2012 6:08 pm

Tim Dyer wrote:
Pam Ellwood wrote: What advantage could theoretically be gained if they weren't to be judged by their OH in anything?

The key word there is "theoretically". In theory it could happen that a judge "not see" the pole come down thus eliminating the handler/spouse and dog or not think that his wife's sheltie spinning 12 times in front of a jump is a refusal. There are lots of things AKC does based on theory (IMO). In theory, a pig could fly out of my a$$ in the middle of my run and in the unlikely event that it happened, I am sure there is already a ruling that would cover that (soiling the ring or something). :cheeky:

I try to keep an open mind about all the regulations we have in AKC. I remind myself that I am not a murderer and more than likely never will be (although I was really close at the grocery store a little while ago) yet I have to live with the rule that murder is illegal and that rule was put into place based on the actions of a small segment of society. It does not however, stop me from thinking "wow, that is really stupid"

I like that, we should have a Pig-Ass Rule! :shock:
Mo Morris

PreviousNext

Return to The Agility Forum